- Registered Users: Individuals accessing PSJD through one of several types of registered accounts
- School Administrators: Registered staff of subscribing law schools (schools paying subscription fees to PSJD) seeking legal employment and career information on behalf of their students and alumni.
- Jobseekers: Registered law students, law graduates, and others seeking legal employment and career information for personal use.
- Employers: Registered staff of Public Service Employer Organizations seeking to provide descriptive information about their organizations and about job opportunities for which they either require or prefer candidates with legal training (whether as interns, post-graduate fellows, or otherwise).
- Public Service Employer Organizations ("Employer Organizations"): Organizations meeting one of the following definitions, as determined solely by NALP:
- Non-profit entities (e.g., 501(c) corporations).
- Offices, agencies, or other units or instrumentalities of local, state, provincial, federal, or national governments.
- Offices, agencies or other units or instrumentalities created by treaties involving two or more nations.
- For-profit organizations that dedicate at least a significant portion of their workload to matters of broad social, political, or economic impact. (Similar issues to those with which non-profit entities and government organizations concern themselves.)
NOTE A: Employer organizations that do not meet these criteria but which seek to advertise a job opportunity that is nevertheless strongly related to public service may advertise the position at NALP’s discretion if NALP staff decide the position is likely to interest PSJD’s audience. (For example, NALP may decide to allow a private law firm to advertise a Pro Bono Coordinator position.)
NOTE B: Employer organizations—and the opportunities they publicize—must meet the criteria defined in PSJD's non-discrimination policy, in addition to the criteria listed here.
- Legal-Sector Job Announcements ("Job Posts"):Materials describing opportunities to perform work on behalf of public service employer organizations where the organization’s application criteria either require or prefer candidates who possess a professional degree in law or are studying to earn such a degree.
- Registered Users: Individuals accessing PSJD through one of several types of registered accounts
All contents of this website are protected by copyright held by The National Association for Law Placement (NALP); PSJD is a program and web service provided by NALP.
The information in password-protected areas of the PSJD website is available for use only by (1) School Administrators, (2) Jobseekers, and (3) Employers. (Collectively, "Registered Users.") Jobseekers must register individually, for their own employment / career purposes. School Administrators may register for the purpose of assisting multiple jobseekers with their career searches. Employers may register in order to post materials describing Employer Organizations and to post Legal-Sector Job Announcements.
(Registered Users, in tandem with unregistered visitors to the site, are considered “Users.”)
By using this website, all Users agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions included here, as they are interpreted and applied by NALP.
All Users are permitted to access the content available on PSJD.org solely for personal, noncommercial use, and use related to seeking candidates to fill public service employment/volunteer positions. Registered Users will receive a password allowing access to password-protected areas of this website; Users are not permitted to disclose or share your password with anyone else. NALP staff will never ask for a User’s password.
Registered Users are permitted to contact organizations and employment applicants on the website only for their own job seeking or for job listing/hiring purposes. No posting of incomplete, false or inaccurate biographical information or information which is not your own is permitted. No posting or transmitting of any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, or spam is permitted. Registered Users may not delete or revise any material posted by any other person or entity, except in the case of employer organizations revising information posted originally by NALP staff.
Procedures for Using This Website
Registered User Information
Registered User Submissions
As a Registered User, you are responsible for your own communications and are responsible for any consequences of posting those communications. By using this website, you agree not to do the following things:
- post material that is copyrighted, unless you are the copyright owner or have the permission of the copyright owner to post it;
- delete any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designation or labels that you upload;
- post material that reveals trade secrets, unless you own them or have the permission of the owner, or otherwise post or transmit any material that you do not have a right to reproduce, display or transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as material protected by a nondisclosure agreement);
- post material that infringes on any other intellectual property rights of others or on the privacy or publicity rights of others;
- post material that is obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful, or embarrassing to another user or any other person or entity;
- post a sexually explicit image or statement; post advertisements or solicitations of business; post chain letters or pyramid schemes;
- impersonate another person;
- post hyperlinks, "hidden" keywords or any keywords that are irrelevant or otherwise misleading to the job announcement, employer profile, or other communication; or
- post material that contains viruses, corrupted data, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines or engines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or information.
You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for the form, content and accuracy of any material contained therein placed by you on the website. Users are solely responsible for their communications on the website.
By submitting content to any public or password-protected area of the website, you grant NALP/PSJD and its affiliates the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, communicate to the public, perform and display the content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for the full term of any rights that may exist in such content. You also warrant that the holder of any rights, including moral rights in such content, has completely and effectively waived all such rights and validly and irrevocably granted to you the right to grant the license stated above. You also permit any subscriber to access, display, view, store and reproduce such content for personal use. Subject to the foregoing, the owner of such content placed on the website retains any and all rights that may exist in such content.
Limits to NALP's Role and Responsibilities
NALP is under no legal obligation to, and generally does not, control the information provided by other Users that is made available through the website. By its very nature, other people's information may be offensive, harmful or inaccurate, and in some cases will be mislabeled or deceptively labeled. NALP expects that Users will use caution, common sense, and civility when using this website.
NALP/PSJD is only a venue. This website acts as a venue:
- for registered Employer Organizations to post descriptive information and job announcements;
- for registered Jobseekers to access those descriptions and opportunities; and
- when permitted by registered Employer Organizations, for registered Jobseekers to apply for job announcements.
NALP/PSJD does not routinely screen or censor Employer Organizations’ profiles, job announcements, or other information; nevertheless, NALP/PSJD reserves the right to screen or censor information. NALP/PSJD is not involved in the actual transaction between organizations and their candidates. As a result, NALP/PSJD has no control over the quality, safety or legality of the jobs or profiles posted, the truth or accuracy of the listings, the ability of companies to offer job opportunities to candidates or the ability of candidates to fill job openings. In addition, note that there are risks, including but not limited to the risk of physical harm, of dealing with strangers, foreign nationals, underage persons or people acting under false pretenses. You assume all risks associated with dealing with other users with whom you come in contact through the website.
NALP/PSJD does not represent or guarantee the truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of communications posted by Users, nor does NALP/PSJD endorse any opinions expressed by any Users. You acknowledge that any reliance on material posted by any other Users, or communications with those Users, will be at your own risk.
NALP/PSJD acts as a passive conduit for the online distribution and publication of User-submitted information (the “Material”), as well as for communications between Users. NALP has no obligation to screen communications or information in advance and is not responsible for screening or monitoring material posted by Users.?Nor is NALP responsible for miscommunications between Users. If notified by a User of communications which allegedly do not conform to these Terms and Conditions, NALP/PSJD may investigate the allegation and determine in good faith and its sole discretion whether to remove or request the removal of the communication.
NALP/PSJD has no liability or responsibility to Users for performance or nonperformance of such activities. NALP/PSJD reserves the right to expel any person or entity and prevent their further access to the website for violating the Terms and Conditions or the law and the right to remove communications which NALP deems abusive, illegal, or disruptive. NALP/PSJD may take any action with respect to user-submitted information that it deems necessary or appropriate in its sole discretion if it believes it may create liability for NALP/PSJD or may cause NALP/PSJD to lose (in whole or in part) the services of its ISPs or other suppliers.
Because User authentication on the Internet is difficult, NALP/PSJD cannot and does not confirm that each User is who they claim to be. Because we do not and cannot be involved in User-to-User dealings or control the behavior of participants on NALP/PSJD, in the event that you have a dispute with one or more Users, you release NALP/PSJD (and our agents and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential, direct and indirect) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.
The Material, and all other website content, may contain inaccuracies or typographical errors. NALP/PSJD makes no representations about the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of the website content or the Material. The use of the website, the Material, and all other content is at your own risk. Changes are periodically made to the website and may be made at any time. NALP/PSJD does not warrant or guarantee that a job posting will be viewed by any specific number of Users, or that it will be viewed by any User.
NALP/PSJD is not to be considered an employer with respect to your use of the website, and NALP/PSJD shall not be responsible for any employment decisions, for whatever reason made, made by any entity posting jobs or profiles on the website.
NALP Not Responsible for Functionality of Direct Job Application Feature
PSJD is a passive conduit and is not involved in interactions between Registered Users (including job seekers and employer organizations), or any other website Users. The direct job application feature is provided as a convenience to Registered Users. NALP assumes no responsibility, and makes no guarantee, for communications, or attempted communications, via this feature. Specifically, as regards the direct job application feature: All information posted or transmitted by, or on behalf of, Registered Users is the responsibility of those Registered Users. NALP assumes no responsibility to monitor content, although NALP reserves the right to do so.
Registered Users assume total responsibility for communications, or attempted communications, via the direct job application feature or otherwise arising out of PSJD job listings. NALP does not guarantee the functionality of the feature, and Registered Users bear sole responsibility to ensure that communications are delivered to, and received by, intended recipients. Registered Users agree to release NALP from any and all claims or damages, of every kind and nature, known or unknown, which may be associated with the functioning of this feature.
Specific Legal Disclaimer
NALP/PSJD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE WEBSITE WILL OPERATE ERROR-FREE OR THAT THE WEB SITE AND ITS SERVER ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL MECHANISMS. IF YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR THE MATERIAL RESULTS IN THE NEED FOR SERVICING OR REPLACING EQUIPMENT OR DATA, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, NALP/PSJD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE COSTS OR DAMAGES.
THE WEBSITE, ITS MATERIAL, AND ALL OTHER CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. NALP/PSJD, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. NALP/PSJD MAKES NO WARRANTIES ABOUT THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, COMPLETENESS, OR TIMELINESS OF THE MATERIAL, SERVICES, SOFTWARE, TEXT, GRAPHICS, FUNCTIONALITIES, LINKS AND ALL OTHER CONTENT.
THE "DIRECT JOB APPLICATION" FEATURE, WHICH PERMITS EMPLOYERS TO ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM JOB SEEKERS ON PSJD, IS PROVIDED AS A CONVENIENCE TO REGISTERED USERS. NALP MAKES NO WARRANTIES ABOUT THE RELIABILITY OF THIS FEATURE OR ITS FUNCTIONALITIES, AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
Limitation of Liability
The aggregate liability for NALP/PSJD to you for all claims arising from the use of the Materials, and other website content and functionalities, is limited to the amount that Users have paid as their subscription fee.
Disclaimer of Consequential Damages
IN NO EVENT SHALL NALP/PSJD, ITS SUPPLIER, OR ANY THIRD PARTIES MENTIONED ON THE WEBSITE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INCIDENTAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM LOST DATA OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) RESULTING FROM THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE, THE MATERIAL, AND ALL OTHER CONTENT, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT NALP/PSJD IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Links to Other Websites
The PSJD website contains links to third-party websites. These links are provided solely as a convenience to you and not as an endorsement by NALP/PSJD of the contents on such third-party websites. NALP/PSJD is not responsible for the content of linked third-party websites and does not make any representations regarding the content or accuracy of materials on such third-party websites. If you decide to access linked third-party websites, you do so at your own risk.
No Resale or Unauthorized Commercial Use
You agree not to resell or assign your rights or obligations under these Terms and Conditions. You also agree not to make any unauthorized commercial use of the website.
NALP/PSJD reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to pursue all of its legal remedies, including but not limited to deletion of your information from this website and immediate termination of your registration with or ability to access the website and/or any other service provided to you by NALP/PSJD, upon any breach by you of these Terms and Conditions, or if NALP/PSJD is unable to verify or authenticate any information you submit to the website, or for any other reason NALP/PSJD deems appropriate.
Release of Rights
You agree to release and hold harmless NALP/PSJD, its officers, directors, employees and agents, from and against any claims, actions or demands, including without limitation reasonable legal and accounting fees, alleging or resulting from your use of the Material and any other Content, or your breach of the terms of these Terms and Conditions. NALP/PSJD shall provide notice to you promptly of any such claim, suit, or proceeding and shall assist you, at your expense, in defending any such claim, suit or proceeding.
PSJD is a web service provided by The National Association for Law Placement (NALP)
This web page outlines the Terms and Conditions under which you may use the NALP/PSJD website. If you do not accept the Terms and Conditions stated here, or if you do not meet or comply with their provisions, you may not use this website and service. By using this website, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions included here. The terms "you", “Registered User” and "User" as used herein refer to all individuals and/or entities accessing this website for any reason. NALP/PSJD reserves the right to revise these Terms and Conditions at any time by updating this posting.
The contents of the website, and all other websites under NALP's control, such as the "look" and "feel" of the website, text, graphics, images, logos, button icons, software and other website content are protected under both United States and foreign copyright, trademark, and other laws. All Material/content is the property of NALP/PSJD or its content/Material suppliers or subscribers. The compilation (meaning the collection, arrangement and assembly) of all Material/content on this website is the exclusive property of NALP/PSJD and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. Unauthorized use of any website content or Material may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws. You must retain all copyright, trademark, service mark and other proprietary notices contained in the original website content on any copy you make of the website content/Material. You may not sell or modify the website content/Material or reproduce, display, publicly perform, distribute, or otherwise use the website content/Material in any way for any public or commercial use. However, subscribing law schools are permitted to provide demonstrations of this website to students and others. The use of the website content/Material on any other website or in a networked computer environment for any purpose is prohibited.
You shall not copy or adapt the HTML code that NALP/PSJD creates to generate any website content/Material or the pages making up any NALP website. It is also protected by NALP's copyright.
Acceptable Site Use
The PSJD website is intended for use by individuals seeking information about public service legal jobs and by public service employer organizations. You may use this site only for lawful purposes within the stated context of PSJD's intended and acceptable use of the website. NALP/PSJD is the sole interpreter of the website's intended and acceptable use.
Access to password-protected areas of the site is restricted to Registered Users. PSJD restricts registration to job-seeking law students and graduates of subscribing law schools (jobseekers), to employees of public service organizations (employers), to law school administrative staff (school administrators), and to individual subscribers (jobseekers).
Jobseekers must register individually, for their own employment/career purposes.
School administrators may register accounts for the purpose of assisting multiple jobseekers. Employers may register in order to post materials describing Employer Organizations and to post Legal Sector Job Announcements.
General rules: Registered Users may not use PSJD or any NALP site in order to transmit, distribute, store or destroy material, including without limitation website content/Material, (a) in violation of any applicable law or regulation, (b) in a manner that will infringe the copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property rights of others or violate the privacy, publicity or other personal rights of others, or (c) that is harmful, defamatory, libelous, vulgar, obscene, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, hateful or otherwise objectionable.
NALP Website Security Rules
Users are prohibited from violating or attempting to violate the security of PSJD or any NALP website, including, without limitation, (a) accessing data not intended for such User or logging into a server or account which the User is not authorized to access, (b) attempting to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of a system or network or to breach security or authentication measures without proper authorization, (c) attempting to interfere with service to any User, host or network, including, without limitation, via means of submitting a virus to PSJD or any NALP website, overloading, "flooding", "spamming", "mailbombing" or "crashing", or (d) forging any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any e-mail or newsgroup posting. Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. NALP will investigate occurrences which may involve such violations and may involve, and cooperate with, law enforcement authorities in prosecuting Users who are involved in such violations.
Specific Prohibited Uses
The website may be used only for lawful purposes by individuals seeking employment and career information and organizations seeking to provide descriptive information about their own organization and to hire interns, fellows, or employees. NALP/PSJD specifically prohibits any use of the website, and all Users agree not to use the website, for any of the following:
- Posting or transmitting any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, "spam," chain letters or any other form of solicitation or any information such as opinions or notices, commercial or otherwise. You may not spam any Users who appear on the website.? You may not respond to a job opportunity posting other than if you are applying for that job on behalf of yourself.
- Posting any incomplete, false or inaccurate biographical information or information which is not your own.
- Posting any franchise, pyramid scheme, "club membership", distributorship or sales representative agency arrangement or other business opportunity which requires an up-front or periodic payment, pays commissions only (no significant salary) or requires recruitment of others including, but not limited to, members, sub-distributors or sub-agents.
- Deleting or revising any material posted by any other person or entity.
- Using any device, software or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of this Web Site or any activity being conducted on this site.
- Taking any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on this Web Site's infrastructure.
- If you have a password allowing access to password protected areas of the website, disclosing to or sharing your password with any other person or entity or using your password for any unauthorized purpose.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, using or attempting to use any engine, software, tool, agent or other device or mechanism (including without limitation browsers, spiders, robots, avatars or intelligent agents) to navigate or search this website other than the search engine and search agents available from NALP/PSJD on this website and other than generally available third party web browsers (e.g., Microsoft Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.).
- Aggregating, copying or duplicating in any manner any of the Materials/content or information available from the website.
- Framing of or linking to any of the materials or information available from the website.
Use of Passwords and Password-Protected Website Areas
Use of any password-protected area of the website is restricted to the Registered User who has been given permission and a password to enter such area. This password cannot be distributed to others, and the Registered User is responsible for any and all damages to NALP/PSJD resulting from the distribution of his or her password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your information and password.
You shall be responsible for all uses of your registration, whether or not authorized by you. You agree to immediately notify NALP/PSJD of any unauthorized use of your registration or password.